Class of 1946
Sculptor, Civil Rights Advocate
Stump was born in Detroit in 1928, attended Kingswood School Cranbrook on a four year scholarship, graduated from the University of Michigan with Bachelor's and Master's Degrees in 1950-1951, and then apprenticed under sculptor Marshall Fredricks. She founded the sculpture studio at Kingswood school in 1969 and continued as an award winning teacher at Kingswood and Cranbrook until her retirement in 1990.
Many of Stump's bronze sculptures can be seen in public spaces throughout southeastern Michigan, including the Totem at the Macomb Commons on Grosse Ile, the Baptismal Font in the courtyard of the Presbyterian Church and the Cross on the East side of Sacred Heart Church. In Ann Arbor at the U of M Alumni Center, In Dearborn at Christ Church, in Bloomfield Hills multiple Sculptures at the Cranbrook Educational Community, in Birmingham at Marian High School, In Southfield on the East side of Providence Hospital, In Troy in St. Stephens Episcopal Church, in Rochester Hills in the Library, and in Saginaw the Comedy and Tragedy masks outside the Dow Events Center, Michigan Bell Telephone Company Data Processing Center, Peter Beach Memorial Douglas MacArthur High School, Norman Westland Child Guidance Clinic, and the Theodore Roethke Memorial at the Saginaw State University. There are many others in private collections. In addition she taught all mediums of art to all ages through the Saginaw Museum, and countless summer programs.
She was an advocate for civil rights and peace, and a champion for women's rights. During the Detroit Riots she opened her home as a refuge for African American students at Oakland University.