(entering grades 7 – 12 in the Fall of 2024)
What to bring
Learn oboe reed making in a fun and relaxed small group
- Learn how to tie, scrape, finish and adjust oboe reeds
- Enrollment limited to 15 participants
- Each participant is given their own workspace.
- By the end of SOS, participants should be able to make an oboe reed that plays.
- Also: group warm-up, ensembles, instrument care, reed fixes, & more!
- Make your own reed case to safely hold all your new reeds (reed case supplies included)!
- On Thursday, June 20, we celebrate with a mini ensemble concert! Family members are invited to attend the 6 pm performance.
- Reed-making supplies
- Tuner and oboe stand, if you own one
Oboists need the following supplies: cane, staples, knife & sheath, mandrel, cutting block, razor blades, plaque, beeswax, millimeter ruler, and thread. If you need a reed-making kit, instructions on ordering a recommended custom reed-making kit will be included with your confirmation email upon registration.
Also recommended: small scissors, emery boards for filing, clear nail polish, and a small tin for cane storage. Tools should be labeled with the student’s name and contained in a craft box, pencil box, or zipper pouch.
While every effort is made to maintain a safe instructional environment, students must be responsible for the proper handling of reed-making equipment, including knives and razor blades.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition: $275Includes supplies for reed case and final performance
- Cancellation Fee: $50 per week if a cancellation request is received in writing prior to 21 days of session start date. No refund within 21 days.
- Rush Enrollment Fee: $35 per session within 21 days of session start date
- Late Payment Fee: 10% of balance 21 days prior to session start date