(coed, grades 1-8) Grade levels are defined as entering grades in Fall 2018.
Cranbrook Schools robotics program during the academic year regularly advances its VEX IQ, VEX, FTC, and WRO™ teams to state- and world-level championships. As an extension of our long history of superior robotics achievements, Robotics Day Camps offer LEGO® and VEX IQ staffed by members of our Schools' team coaches who help campers build robots to compete in the official league tournaments.
Every Friday at 2:30pm, parents/guardians are encouraged to attend the Robotics Show & Tell where campers present their robots and participate in mini-competitions.
Robotics Day Camps offer sessions in LEGO®
and VEX IQ
- Grade 1: LEGO® WeDo 2.0
- Grades 2-3: LEGO® BOOST
- Grades 2-3: LEGO® Simple & Powered Machines
- Grades 4-8: LEGO® MINDSTORMS® EV3
- Grades 4-8: VEX IQ
The LEGO® WeDo
2.0 program introduces campers entering first grade to the basics of robotics using fun LEGO® creations. Campers use tablets and visual block programming to make use of sensors and motors on their WeDo robots.
The LEGO® Simple and Powered Machines
program for entering second and third graders allow campers to work in teams of two using LEGO®
bricks and specially designed LEGO® parts to learn the fundamentals of mechanisms, structures and forces. Campers engage in STEM-related structured activities as well as creative building time to enhance and promote problem solving skills. Campers use tablets and visual block programming to mobilize their creations.
The LEGO® Boost program is also for entering second and third graders. Campers build and code interactive robots using tables and visual block programming. Sensors and unique mechanical features allow campers to bring these creations to life with mood reflecting facial expressions and communicative gestures. These life-like robot models can also be designed to grip and carry objects. Working in teams of two, campers are given guidance and instruction for sound building practices involving balance and function as they design their own unique interactive creations.
The LEGO® MINDSTORMS® EV3 program is for entering fourth through eighth graders. Using the LEGO® EV3 Challenge curriculum, campers complete various engaging online and hands-on activities. Campers learn the fundamentals of LEGO® robotics, including basic skills in programming, sensor application, and mechanical design. If your child is interested in competing in a qualified competition after camp ends, there will be an option to register during camp for an additional fee.
The VEX IQ program platform is designed to be simple and easy for campers new to robotics, yet flexible and powerful to allow for a wide range of exploration in all aspects of STEM. Structural pieces snap together and come apart without tools allowing for quick build times and easy modifications. A variety of gears, wheels and other assemblies allow for complete mechanical customization of VEX IQ robots. The platform is compatible with a variety of programming options like Python, RobotC, and visual block programming (e.g. ModKit). Staff guide campers to begin building robots capable of competing in academic-year VEX IQ competitions. Any robotics experience is an asset, but no prior VEX IQ experience is necessary.
Campers swim twice a week at Cranbrook's Williams Natatorium
. Swim tests are conducted on the first day. Campers who fail or prefer not to take the test are supplied with life jackets and remain in the shallow end of the pool. Campers are allowed to retake the test at any time. The Natatorium staff include a certified pool manager, certified lifeguards, and our trained camp staff who serve as lookouts. 2018 Update:
Swimming is available all six weeks of camp.
Lunch, Snacks, and Allergies
Box Lunches and snacks are included in tuition and are provided by Chartwells Dining Services. They are a nut-free organization who cater Cranbrook Schools’ meals during the academic year. Special arrangements can be made for campers with food allergies. Lunch takes place on the Cranbrook Kingswood Upper School - Cranbrook campus.
Extended Care, Bus Service, and Swim Lessons
- Extended Care offers activities, games, and open time outside and in the gym as early as 7AM and as late as 6PM. Afternoon care includes a snack. Extended Care is located at Cranbrook Lower School Brookside. Campers are bused to/from camp each day. Extended Care is also a nice option for families with multiple children attending more than one of our camps to reduce the number of pick up points; parents/guardians simply pick up and drop off all children attending Extended Care at Brookside.
- Bus Service is available to shuttle campers to and from specific stops in Birmingham (8:10 AM / 3:45 PM), Rochester Hills (7:45 AM / 3:45 PM), Royal Oak (7:50 AM / 4:05 PM), Troy (8:10 AM / 4:10 PM), and West Bloomfield (7:45 AM / 3:45 PM). Campers not picked up in time will be bused to Extended Care.
- Swim Lessons are offered for Grades 1-5 as group lessons by the week after the camp day and last 35 minutes. Campers are picked up at Cranbrook's Williams Natatorium.
- These options can be combined to meet your needs. For example, you can choose the morning Bus Service and afternoon Extended Care.
- Logistical information for these additional options will be provided in the Parent Welcome Packet closer to the start of camp.
Communication & PhotosParents/guardians are emailed a newsletter each week that includes a recap from the prior week, highlights for the following week, field trip information, updated group lists, lunch and snack menus, and merchandise available for sale. Daily camp photos are taken and posted in the Photo Gallery to view, post, and purchase.
For more information
Tuition and Fees
Note: Option prices are prorated for the week of July 2 since camp is closed on July 4.
- Tuition: Full (6 Weeks) $2235, Half & EV3 (3 Weeks) $1105, Partial (1 Week) $415 (Week 3 $375)
- Fees: Purchase Kit $159.99-$389.95 depending on kit OR Rent Kit $35-$65 per session OR Bring Your Own Kit $0
- Fees: Rush Enrollment if within 21 days prior to start of session $35 (one time per camper per season)
- Discounts: $50 each additional session (auto)
- Includes: Box Lunch, AM/PM Snacks, Camp T-shirt
- Extras: Trips to the Cranbrook Institute of Science on Wednesdays after lunch $0
- Options: Extended Care ($75/week AM, $95/week PM), Bus Service ($90/week or $45/week one-way), Swim Lessons ($75/week), Monthly Payment Plan (free)
on the Schools’
camps, request information
or contact Special and Summer Programs
or (248) 645-3674.
LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site or program.
VEX and VEX Robotics are trademarks or service marks of VEX Robotics, Inc., a subsidiary of Innovation First International, Inc.