|CK College Counseling offers unequaled expertise in guiding students through the uncertainties of the college selection and application process. That expertise has resulted in a robust program that starts for students and parents in the freshman year, and partners them with academic deans, advisors, and counselors. Below is a brief overview of the major steps in that process.|
|The first year of college preparation focuses on:
- Helping students integrate themselves into the Upper School, both academically and socially.
- Aiding students as they explore their approach to studies and pursuit of extracurricular activities. We do this through our classroom experience and a system of academic advising.
- Supporting and guiding students as they learn to strike a balance in their lives.
- Introducing standardized testing through the administration of the PLAN test (a practice test for the ACT) as an academic assessment/counseling tool.
|In their second year, sophomore students:|
- Develop their writing skills, critical thinking, and test-taking skills – all integral elements in the preparation for college-level work.
- Take the PSAT test as an introduction to college admission testing.
- Refine their approach to the standardized tests necessary for successful college placement through teachers’ classroom instruction.
During fall semester, juniors:
- Meet with the CK College Counseling team to review the Junior Timeline and the standardized testing to be taken during the course of the year.
- Are advised on and take the PSAT as a qualifying test for the National Merit Scholarship Program.
- Attend a workshop about the college application process in order to fully understand the process and the key elements of college admission. This workshop includes a mock admissions committee exercise.
- Complete the College Counseling Autobiographical Questionnaire, which serves as one of the foundation documents for the initial one-on-one meetings with college counselors the following spring.
During spring semester, juniors:
- Meet one-on-one with college counselors to develop:
- A curriculum plan for senior year
- A testing plan for standardized college admissions testing
- A working list of colleges to research
- The skill set necessary to fully and successfully engage the college application process
In collaboration with their college counselors, seniors:
- Finalize their college list.
- Complete college applications beginning in early September. During this intense time, seniors draw upon the experiences of the past three years to balance the demands of a strong academic program, extracurricular activities, and preparing college applications.
- Finish taking any remaining standardized tests.
Senior students work with the following support team as they navigate this challenging transition year:
- Academic Advisor
- College Counselor
In April, the culmination of four years of preparation occurs when seniors make their final college choices.
|College Admissions Deans' Panel:|
Freshman Parent Evening:
- Sophomore and junior parents and students hear from and interact with senior admissions officers from colleges and universities around the country
- Panel discussion by the admissions deans
- Question and answer session with the admissions deans
Sophomore Parent Evening:
- What goes on in the 9th grade classroom
- Life outside the classroom
- Summer opportunities
- Curriculum planning
- CK CollegeNet for the freshman family
Junior Parent Evening:
- Making the most of your student's summer
- Standardized testing
- Curriculum planning
- CK CollegeNet for the sophomore family
Senior Parent Evening:
- Where to begin: standardized testing
- Making your summer work for you
- How to research colleges
- Important dates and deadlines
- Parent and student relationships - about your senior
- Deadlines and the various application paths available
- Differences in college application forms
- Fall standardized testing
- Colleges that visit CK (130+) - how to use the visits well
- Fall college campus visits and interviews
- Financial aid forms
- Teacher recommendations